Message Series: Command
Tonight, we began a four week conversation about the 10 Commandments. This week we focused on how the rules in our lives are meant to shape us into mature men and women.
- Week 1: Myth- Rules Based Faith
- Week 2: New Command
- Week 3: Love God
- Week 4: Love Others
Week one starts us off with the premise of why we have rules in our lives. Our parents do not create rules to “oppress” us. They set up structures to help us grow into the best versions of ourselves. We looked at the book of Leviticus, specifically Chapter 7 Verses 22-27. Non believers often quote Leviticus to discredit Christians or call us hypocrites. The reality is the history of those rules is overlooked. Leviticus spells out rules created for the Israelites who were wondering in the wilderness after centuries of slavery. Jesus Christ had not yet sacrificed himself for the sins of all mankind. Those rules were specifically for God’s chosen people at that particular point in time so they could stay worthy in the eyes of God.
Some questions for family discussion:
- Are there any rules you would change, if you could, at home or school? If so, what would you change and why?
- What rules do you hate having to follow at home and school?
- Looking back, how have rules saved you? In other words, how did a rule keep you from getting in trouble/Sinning?
- Have you ever felt that being a Christian is hard because of the “rules?” If so what “rules” make Christianity difficult?
We pray that great conversations will be sparked between you and your kids. We are praying for your families and we appreciate any prayer for our church family, especially within the youth ministry. We heavily depend on it. So, thanks and see you soon!Filed Under: Just For Parents, Sunday Night Live, Youth, Youth Message Series