Message Series: Evil & Suffering “Theology”
Evil & Suffering Series
Act(s) of Worship
If God is Good, Why is There Suffering?
- When have you experience evil and suffering in your life? What does it feel like?
- Is it easy or hard to you to look to God when bad things happen?
- Do you believe you have free will?
- How would you feel if God controlled all of your decisions?
- Do you think God loves everyone the same, even those who commit evil acts?
- Why do we or others often blame God for the suffering we or others experience?
The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.
the people who sat in darkness have seen a great light. And for those who lived in the land where death casts its shadow, a light has shined.
I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.
Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.”
No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
- How do these scriptures relate to the concept of good v. evil?
- How might God use us as part of his plan, based on these verses?
- Where do you see evil or suffering in your day to day life? How might you bring goodness and light to those places? Even if it’s just one small way.