Message Series: Tribe of the One – Developing Understanding
To kick off our SNL series this fall, we will be starting with a three week series called: Tribe of the One.
Here are some questions to think about from this week’s theme, “Developing Understanding”
- Who are your friends? Are any of them a different race or ethnicity than you?
- How did you become friends?
- What are common stereotypes that exist about different groups of people?
- (Make sure to clarify to your students that naming these is a way to talk about them – it does not mean you think or believe them.)
- Where do these come from? Why do they stick?
- What did you think about the guest speaker tonight? What stood out to you?
- What did you think about Jeff’s story about his grandfather?
- Have you ever had a similar experience?
- How did it make you feel? How did you react?
- Sometimes we forget that we all live in different homes with different rules, values, and experiences. Why is it important to learn about how we all experience life differently?
- How does learning about these things allow us to welcome and serve someone?
- Why do we avoid it sometimes?
- Group Activity:
- Plan together: You want to get to know someone of a different race or ethnicity than you. What are 5 questions could ask them to understand them more?
- Action Step: Is there someone you know who you could ask these questions this week?
- Read Ephesians 2:14-17.
- How do you think this verse applies to what we’ve been talking about tonight?
- How can we make SNL a place that is welcoming to anyone of any race, ethnicity, background?
- Who could you invite to SNL next week? Hold each other accountable!
- Pray out!
- Remember to find out about upcoming events you want to be a part of! Check our social media or HYM calendar!