Message Series: What If…?
This week we are starting a new 2 week series called “What If – How your choices direct the outcome and path of your life”. What if our students didn’t care what other people thought about them? What if they would stand up for what they believed in, despite what everyone else thought? Well some did. They chose to stand up for what they believed in.
We will be talking about two stories from the book of Daniel. Both of which are pretty freakin’ cool. About some dudes that chose to make really gutsy decisions that ultimately led to… well you need to just read it.
- Week 1: The Fiery Furnace
- Main Idea: WHAT IF I didn’t care what people thought about me?
- Week 2: The Lions Den
- Main Idea: WHAT IF I acted on what I believed?
Week one starts us off with three dudes in ancient Babylon named Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo. They were not willing to compromise who they were because of what the King had declared or thought about them. They chose to be true to themselves…even if it led to death via a fiery furnace. Of course, in the end, they triumphed because of their faithfulness. Take a minute and read the story: Daniel 3.
Here are some questions for family discussion:
- If someone in authority over you told you to do something wrong, how would you respond?
- If God chose not to rescue you from intense personal suffering, how would this affect your faith?
- In what area of your life is it most difficult for you to stand by your Christian beliefs?
- What would it look like if you didn’t care what other people thought about you?
- What would it look like to stand up for what you believed in, despite what everyone else thought? Why would that be so difficult?
- What do you need to help you with this?