Sunday Bulletin Article – What Is Commissioning? – 5-19-13
What Is Commissioning?
Commissioning, grounded in Scripture, is a solemn recognition of a person as she or he sets out on a path to a particular work of ministry. We see in Acts 6 where the Apostles choose seven people for the special ministry of serving the widows. They placed hands on them and prayed over them before launching this important ministry. Also, in Acts 12, before Paul and Barnabas left on their first missionary journey, they too received the prayers and the laying on of hands by the church leaders.
On Sunday, June 30, HOPE Church will commission those who will be involved in special service this summer. We will be seeing three teams heading out from HOPE to serve in short-term missions and three teams serving here in special short-term ministries, specifically …
- HOPE’s Middle School Mission Team will travel from July 7 to July 13 to Union Beach, New Jersey. Our High School Mission Team will also go to Union Beach from August 4 to August 10. These mission teams, calling themselves The REAL Jersey Shore, will tackle work in Union Beach, a town that is still very much devastated by last year’s Superstorm Sandy. Close to 100 students and adults make up the two teams in total, with many of the adult volunteers using their vacation time to be a part of this mission. (All proceeds from this year’s Youth Ministry’s Yard Sale table will help offset costs for the teams. We are now accepting donated items to be sold by the youth on Saturday, June 1. All items may be dropped off in the Fishbowl with our thanks.)
- We have 13 adult mission team members traveling to Cuba from August 17 through August 24. While there, they will serve a local church in Havana by working construction during the day and doing some discipleship ministry at the local church in the evening.
- An estimated 230 children will attend this year’s vacation Bible school, Kingdom Rock: Where Kids Stand Strong for God, taking place from July 22 through July 26. Children from 3 years (by June 1) to 5th grade are invited to participate. It takes between 55 and 60 volunteers to make it all happen, along with lots of donated items and materials. Click here to learn more.
- Chelsea Champs Summer Camp will run again this year from July 22 through August 3. This wonderful program offers fun and fellowship at no charge to the children living right in our own neighborhood at Chelsea Place.
- HOPE’s 4th Annual Music/Drama Camp will be held from August 5 through August 16. This year the camp will produce Riches to Rags, a modern-day retelling of the story of Job. This Bible story has always been one of inspiration. Job lost it all, his riches, his livelihood, his children, and still he praised God. Even though Job sometimes questioned God’s ways, he never questioned God’s presence. With help from a dozen volunteers, the 60 campers will present the live production to the public on Thursday, August 15 at 6:30pm.
Every one of these teams not only represents Jesus Christ but us, their faith family, as well. Ultimately, we are all a part of these teams as we pray for them, encourage them, provide financial support and celebrate with them when their service is complete. We truly are one body in ministry and mission together! Please join us on Sunday, June 30 and be a part of this special time of prayer.
Filed Under: Uncategorized